Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 7

I'm a day behind. I'm scrapping the attempt to post something daily, cuz I get all stressed out and behind. But I will continue to post when I can and tell fun stories. So things aren't going to be so chronological right now.
Right now we sort of have a free day. It is Sunday, and he had scheduled that we take ourselves to the Louvre. I am recovering. I think I'll go when we come back through from La Rochelle. I need a down day. I know I'm in Paris, but yikes was yesterday nuts.

We started with Dr Janc, and went up to the basilica of Saint Denis. Legend goes that he was beheaded somehow down at Montmartre, picked up his head, and walked up to this church. Now is is the Necropolis for all of the French monarchy. Seriously, all of it, except, like, 4 Merovingians. Hay, ima teach you some french history.
French Dynasties:
Merovingien
Carolingien
Capetiens
Valois
Bourbon


This all gets a bit shady with Gaul being all territories n things for a long time, and then with Napoleon mixing things up. But anyway, there are a LOT of tombs.
Then Amy and I went to the Orangerie, which has a lot of impressionism and a collection of Monet's Nimpheas (waterlilies) that are.... oh maybe 50 feet long. They're huge.


Then we had lunch and got sort of served by a very Parisian waitress (this indicates rude to the point of almost mean), but I had ratatouille for the first time, and its super good! And then we went to Centre Pompidou. This is modern art. Some standard Pollock, Dali, Rothko kinda stuff, but also much much more that is so beyond most people's conception of art, that the place turns into this sort of outer space sort of experience. The building itself has inside-out architechure, and includes a library, many stages and theatres, galleries, bookstores, etc etc. Acutally I think the Walker has a lot of the same characteristics- We sat in a media gallery (which looks like a computer lab) and listened to some ... sound art?

Then we went and tracked down the club we had found to attend. Its right beside the Moulin Rouge and we were pumped to go, but wiped out. So grocery store, nap, then go out was the plan, but it was 830 by this point and we had planned to go out at 10ish, so my nap didn't happen. But the club. OMG. Called La Locomotive, and it was fantastic. 3 levels with different music. 5 bars, couches, and people. it didn't open till 11 so we were right on time. And we danced and mingled and it was awesome. But the time came to figure out if we were taking the metro back, and it seemed ludicris to me to spend e10 for a single hour somewhere, so some left, and some stayed. So we danced some more, and there was some leopard lady and lots of glowsticks and it was great. But then noone really had any money, and we were pretty sure a cab would have ripped us off, so we walked. This morning I look back and can't believe it. Here I'm gonna google how far we walked. Keep in mind that this is post big day, post dance club, in heels. ok.
It's 5.5 km. Thats 3.4 miles.
Gah.
This is so nice today though. I've been itching for a space to take care of, and so I cleaned up, made some coffee, and scrap-booked. Our rooms have kitchenettes, tvs, a little desk with internet... ahhhhh.

No comments: