Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Day 4

I was so wiped out yesterday. I've been napping here and there, and I was hellbent on not going out last night, but pre-game ended up in my room so my arm was more easily twisted. We had a wonderful time! A girl in our group had no problem talking with the guys in for an after work, so we mingled with the natives in a little hole in the wall of a place. I am feeling better as well, so no major consequences.
So yesterday was big. We started in Montmartre at Sacre Coeur, a giant church on the hill. The ground is unstable because they used to use a lot of rock from the hill, so one must walk to the top and dodge these horribly annoying dudes who try to tie a e15 friendship bracelet on your wrist as their buddies pick your pockets. Acutally we had a pretty pushy one give us a hard time when we told him to piss off, and that was the first bit of anti-american sentiment I've ever heard here. And he wasn't even French. haha. what a jerk.
So the church was beautiful. Then we went to la Place de Tertre, which is a little artist square where they sit and paint pictures or portraits or whatever. Its very quaint, and very touristy. Lots of americans. but lots of many nationalities, I heard quite a kaleidoscope of languages.

One more church here, this one had a couple roman pillars. Pretty cool.
If you have seen the movie Amelie, this is the neighborhood where she lived.
Then for my favorite. Pere Lachaise is a HUGE cemetary. It is just awesome. Europeans have a different view of death than we do, its just one more cultural difference, but what happened was your family rented a sepulcre for a certain number of years. You could renew it and things, but once you no longer had the rights to the space, they chucked you and your family into an ossuary and the space was changed over to a new family. This isn't done so much anymore, but graves are not the same as in the US. There's too much crowding. I have a good story about a different cemetary, but I'll tell that when I go to the catecombs.

We had missed the Opera house, so we went back there, and we were all bout done for the day by this point, but it was golden and fancy and so ornate.

Then came crabby wandering because Dr Janc left us and we didn't know what to do. We ended up in the neighborhood of the Moulin Rouge, which is not nearly as glamourous as we are led to believe. And from what I understand, its a ripoff meal with a Vegas show for Americans. But there was this museum down the street which was amazing! It was the Erotic museum, and only Taweh would go with me (I've never seen so many adults scared away by a penis), and it was crazy! You wouldn't believe the amount of art within all cultures and all periods of time that have to do with sex. Some of it was funny, some was very beautiful, some shocking, -- all in all, a super cool museum.

No comments: